20 March 2012

The Summer of Simplicity (and Quality)

First of, it's good to be back. I missed you all. But let's get down to business here, men's fashion wait's for no one.

If you remember back in the Summer of '11 (great summer, by the way) we all got a little out of control. We bought a few too many items, we accessorized just a bit too much, and we wore garments that were just a little too far out of our swag-range.

Now I dig the intensity, but as a good friend of mine puts it, "we have to learn, and do better next time."

That being said I can't tell you how jazzed up I was when I saw the weeks forecast, but my initial reaction of digging into my closet for all the good stuff that you can't wear during the Winter was slowed by a recent gift I received.

On a 9-day stint in NYC I stumbled into Grahame Fowler Originals, a store that prefers hand made and vintage articles for men. I admit it is on the pricey side, but well worth it. In the store I found this from Chapman Bags, a UK based bag maker known for it's quality.

Chapman Bags: The Stanley | $250
The picture does not do the bag justice, you have to feel it and hold it to understand - much like the way you have to touch leather to tell the quality. But when it was purchased something peculiar happened. The shopkeep (who I assumed would be tickled at charging $250 for a canvas bag) wrapped it up with extra care, and when he gave it to me simply said, "I'm sure it will give you many years of good use."

Now that's just not something you hear everyday, but in a short sentence it can really alter what you are looking for in an article of clothing.

Now while I admit this bag was a gift, I have been in the market for a $100+ bag for quite some time now. Some quick maths will tell you this purchase was 150% over budget, it was well worth it. No bells. No whistlers. Simple, understated perfection that will easily compliment anything I choose to throw on that day.

We should make a promise to ourselves buy a little less, spend a little more, and I think we will all find ourselves with a cleaner, higher quality wardrobe that we will be happier with and last years, not months.

Now let's all go ballistic and look absolutely dangerous doing it. 2012 is going to be a great year.


-Swag On

Need a little more inspiration? Check out Boston local Jamison Aweau and The Anchor Division Blog